Frequently Asked Questions
Use the links below to navigate back to the main Freelancealot.co.uk pages.
- Virtual Assistance / Outsourcing: PA, VA, what's it all about?
- How to use our services: How? What? When?
- Payment Terms, Payment Facilities: Money, Money, Money!
- Post your Questions about Related Matters (Coming Soon)
How? What? When?
- Q. Can I combine several of your services?
- Yes, of course. We are flexible when it comes to how our services are utilised.
For example, if you need a website designed, you may require content to be typed, or your own content proofread or copy-edited. You may need pictures scanned, resized, etc. This would be utilising our web design, secretarial, and editorial skills. Keeping all these tasks under one roof ensures consistency in tone and layout, and means you don't have to deal with Tom, Dick AND Harriet!
- Q. What if I have deadlines to keep?
- We will always do our utmost to get work back to you well within your deadlines. We are able to offer an overnight
service on really urgent jobs.
So, if your meeting finishes at 6:30pm and you need your report typed up and ready to go by 8:00am the next morning, fax us your notes and we'll do the rest.
- Q. How can I send my document to you?
- Digital documents can be e-mailed to us (previous warning should be given if you're sending attachments via e-mail) or sent by courier or registered post on floppy disk, CD, or DVD. Hardcopy can be sent via fax, registered post, or courier. Larger documents can be uploaded to our server by arrangement.
- Q. What file formats do you accept?
- Documents: Word, Excel, Powerpoint, AppleWorks, .rtf, .txt, .pdf, .html, .xhtml, .xml, rss, css (if your format isn't mentioned, contact us
we may still be able to help).
Images/Media: .jpg, .png, .tif, .bmp, .pict, .gif, .psd, .eps, .pdf, .swf, fla (basically, most of today's popular formats).
Audio/video: .wav, .wma, .dss, .aif, .MP3, .SD, .au, .SWF, midi, .mov, or .avi (most formats really, it's best if you contact us to see if we can accommodate you).
We work on both the PC and Apple Mac platforms.
- Q. I've dicated a speech on my digital recorder, can you transcribe it for me?
- Yes, we provide digital audio transcription services for a variety of oganisations and businesses and handle most subjects. Please read our section on audio transcription in our Glossary of Services.
- Q. I have a manuscript I typed out on my trusty typewriter, I now need to send it to the publisher in digital format. Can you help?
- Yes. We would be able to run it through our scanner and OCR (optical character recognition) software.
We would, however, like to state that even though they do a fantastic job, sometimes the OCR can mis-read things ie. switch an 'S' for a '2' (two), or an 'l' for a '1' (one). This means that we have to compare it closely to the original, so if there are hundreds of pages you need to give us ample time to do the job properly. If you're on a budget we can provide the scanned digital document in it's bare form for you to go through. The choice is yours.
Alternatively, we can copy-type an exact duplicate from the orginal.
- Q. I have a PDF document, but I want a version I can edit in my wordprocessing software. Can you convert PDF documents?
- Yes. We can convert them to Word, .txt, or .rft documents. We can also convert documents to PDF.
- Q. Who owns the copyright if you design our project?
- You do (subject to third party rights). We are commissioned by you, so the copyright is yours. Where music or audio is supplied this clause may not apply.
- Q. I'd like to have my calls directed to you when I'm in training sessions, but I don't want to have to give different numbers to clients.
- No problem. If you have BT Call Diversion, you can forward the number to us.
As an alternative, we can set up a unified messaging system (UMS) with a 'follow-me' number that you can configure as you go. You have one number to give out to clients (a choice of 0870, 0845, or 0800). When you want us to answer calls you just set the number to redirect to us. You can also direct this number to voicemail which will then be recorded and sent to your e-mail address as a .wav attachment (you can also have faxes delivered to your e-mail through the same number). The whole system can be set up in advance as you like it. You need never miss a call again!
- Q. I need to clean up some speech recordings I've made for a CD-Rom project. Can you do this?
- Yes. Send us the audio in whatever format it's in and we can remove sounds like coughs, pages turning, chairs scraping,
If required we can also 'time-shrink'7 audio, ie reducing the time taken to listen to a recording of a speech (by removing the silences, and quickening the delivery without creating a squeaky helium cartoon voice).
- Q. I want to use a song from my favourite artist as theme music for my project. Can you help with obtaining the necessary copyright permission.
- Probably. As a member of the Performing Rights Society and Mechanical Copyright Protection Society, our resident musican is well placed to apply for such permission. Obviously, the costs of obtaining permission vary from free to thousands of pounds—depending on your intended use and choice of artist/s!